Online Phlebotomy Advanced Course
1040 hours or more of prior on-the-job phlebotomy experience required.
PhlebotomyU’s Phlebotomy Advanced Course designed for individuals with a minimum of 1040 hours (equivalent to 6 months, full time) of on-the-job phlebotomy specific experience in the last 5 years. Note, the CDPH requires individuals to take a phlebotomy course from a CDPH approved school which we are.
Note, in order to be eligible for any Advanced Course, you will need to provide the following prerequisites:
1. Proof of at least a U.S. high school education (i.e. high school or college transcript or GED).
2. Copy of your government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License).
3. Signed Letter of Experience (also attached) from your previous employer where you obtained your on-the-job phlebotomy experience.
4. The Letter of Experience must be signed by a MD, DO or CLB associated with a valid CLIA laboratory.
5. Note, the CDPH and other certifying agencies reserve the right to verify your work experience and determine eligibility.
Offered Online or On-site
PhlebotomyU does not further investigate nor is responsible to confirm your prior work experience is applicable to the CDPH requirements.
According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) website, the agency that issues the CPT I license:
“Work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license. Please note that biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license.
Phlebotomy experience in a blood bank cannot count towards on-the-job phlebotomy experience for certification. On-the-job experience must include blood collection for testing purposes from patients of varying ages, including pediatric and geriatric, and of varying health and obesity status.”
For your reference, we have also included a link to the CDPH/LFS website that contains all the requirements to obtain a CPT I license.
Cost of the Program
The cost of the course is $700. Upon enrollment there is a $250.00 non-refundable registration fee that must be paid in advance to guarantee your seat in the class. This will be deducted from the total course cost leaving you a remaining balance of $450 which is due on the first day of class.
If you would like to enroll in our program, please provide the following to get started.
1. Complete the online registration form.
2. Provide the $250 non-refundable registration fee.
3. Copy of your high school or accredited college transcript or GED.
4. Signed Letter of Experience.
*Per the CDPH, work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license. Also, biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license.
Already certified? View our phlebotomist jobs to find a relevant career for you!