A job interview can be a nerve-wracking experience from the pressure of answering questions to trying to impress the interviewer within 30 minutes to an hour. The good news is we have compiled top phlebotomy interview questions and tips to prepare. So you can nail the interview and land the best possible phlebotomy job.
Preparing for a Phlebotomist Job Interview
To prepare for a phlebotomy job interview, research the company and position. This gives you insight into the skills and type of employee they are looking to hire. Next, write down key points to common phlebotomy interview questions. Lastly, pick out your outfit, print out copies of your resume, and look up the interview location. Making these arrangements beforehand alleviates stress on the day of the phlebotomy interview.
Top Phlebotomy Interview Questions
- Why did you become a phlebotomist?
This question allows for a personal response. Interviewers remember candidates that tell a story or talk about the gratification of a phlebotomy career.
- How would you handle a distressed and agitated patient?
Write down a couple tips to use in your phlebotomy interview. If you can include a story when you calmed a patient and how you did it.
- What if you are unable to find a vein?
The question is asking how many attempts before getting assistance. The key to this phlebotomy question is knowing the company’s policy. (The average for most facilities is two attempts.)
- Tell me about your experience with drawing blood. Talk about types of patients you worked with, your training experience, and externship.
- Often one phlebotomy interview question is about your knowledge––order of draw, medical equipment, or blood draw procedure. Refresh yourself on these subjects. Here are tips to remember order of draw.
Keep in mind, not to memorize your answers to phlebotomy interview questions but simply write down important points. This way you still come off as genuine and caring.
Quest & Labcorp Phlebotomy Interview Questions
Here are five common questions previous candidates were asked during a phlebotomy job interview at LabCorp and Quest Diagnostic.
- Why do you want to work for this company?
According to Glassdoor, positives of working as a Quest Diagnostics or Labcorp phlebotomist includes working with a variety of people and ages, practicing different techniques, great coworkers, and fast-paced environment.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
This phlebotomy interview question can be tricky because most of us have no idea where we will be in five years. Therefore, express your readiness for long term job, what a great opportunity to be a Quest or LabCorp phlebotomist, and motivation to build a strong phlebotomy career.
- How do you stay focused when you are under stress?
Answer by turning stress as a positive. For example, talk about stress as a positive by stating it pushes you to stay motivated.
- What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
Answering about your strengths is easy. However, weaknesses can be tricky. A good way to answer is state your weakness but then turn it into a learning experience. An example, your weakness is communication and noticed during a school project your lack of communication was hurting your group. Therefore, you started making reminders to communicate better with team members. It gives the impression of your awareness and willingness to improve.
- Do you have experience drawing blood from geriatric patients? Quest and Labcorp phlebotomists work with individuals of all ages. Just let them know your experience or enthusiasm for working with these individuals.
PhlebotomyU Interview Prep Services
Taking time to go over phlebotomy interview questions and details gives you a higher chance of being hired. If you have more questions, feel free to reach out to us at PhlebotomyU. We want to help you find your dream job. Good luck!